Pages

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Giving Thanks: An Idea

Writing.



It's in my veins. It's who I am. It's how I make a living for heaven's sake.



It's what I've always done, and what I hope I can continue to do.



I write.



I write here in this blog. I write a blog for my gaming character in EverQuest II. I write technical documents and manuals, installation guides and FAQ-style documentation for the clients at the office. I write letters to friends. I write thank-you cards (a lost art, I'm told). I write with the hope of effecting change. I write lists of things to do. I write in Petite's baby book so she will have something very tangible from her childhood when she gets older. I write e-mails to friends. I write Christmas cards every year. I write down my thoughts and impressions of the world around me, for my own benefit... and if others so desire, for their enjoyment.



I love to write. I love the feeling of holding a pen in my hand and having a blank sheet before me, ready to retain my words. I love walking into a store filled to the ceiling with types of paper, designs, styles, sizes, colours, textures and sensations. For me, a stationery shop (aka papeterie) holds mystery and a feeling of incomparable possiblity. I could lose myself for hours on end, just exploring all the facets of the paper therein. And all the better if the store carries high-end pens, à la Mont-Blanc's $10,000 works of art! Get me in a store like that and you can leave me for a few hours. I'd be quite content.



I started writing this blog with the intent of venting my emotions and recording our process as we moved forward on the infertility journey. In so doing, I have 'met' a wonderful group of people. Some of you I have met in person. Others, only virtually. But many of you have affected my life.



I read Mel's post about how her kids received a letter from someone with my first name and Mel initially thought it was a letter from me. And that got me thinking: why not? Why wouldn't I write Mel a note, or a letter, or a thank-you card to express to her how much she and her blog have meant to me? Why wouldn't any of us do that? I mean, we write here all the time. We connect online every day. While I understand that some people wish to remain anonymous behind the monikers on their blogs, I also know that many people might appreciate a hand-written card to let them know just how much they mean to us.



I need to pay it forward. I need to try to get in touch with some of you who do mean a lot to me. And I challenge you to do the same. I challenge you to at least make the offer to three bloggers who have touched your life in some way. Make the offer to write a personal note to them (if they're willing to give you a snail-mail address) and let them know how or why they have affected you.



This weekend is our Thanksgiving Holiday. Like last year, I have much to give thanks for. As I'm sure you know, this community is most cerrtainly very high on my list.



And you don't need me to tell you what else I'm thankful for, now do you?




Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians! Enjoy the holiday. Spend it with family and friends and take care of each other.

5 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I love this idea and I'm so glad I admitted my misreading of the envelope in that story. One person's spaciness leads to another person's brilliant idea. And I just assumed when I took the letter out of the box that you already had my address!

Kakunaa said...

I think this is a fabulous idea! Got me thinking :)

gailcanoe said...

I love this idea! Thank you! I'm going to try to "pay it forward" for my favorite blog writers.

ColourYourWorld said...

I have been meaning to say this is a great idea!

foxy said...

Awesome Awesome. I took you up on the challenge. Love it!