Pages

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Tired. Oh so tired.

It's 8:35 p.m. and my 18-month old daughter is, not only still awake, but also calling repeatedly, "Mommeee, Daddeeee" rather plaintively.

She's down to one nap per day, usually in the afternoon for about 2 or 2.5 hours. Today, it was far too short (only an hour and 15 mins) and this evening, but about 7:40, she was starting to looked rather piqued so we started the whole bedtime routine.

But she's adamant that she is bringing a book to bed these nights. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the fact that she adores her books. It'll be a very good thing. But to cuddle a book in bed along with Pooh Bear? That's not exactly too cuddly in my view.

And so she goes into her room, refuses any milk, wanders around, plays peekaboo, brings book after book to me and asks to have me read them, she giggles, bobbles around, opens drawers, pulls out her laundry hamper, does it all... everything except get in bed and go to sleep.

And when she eventually DOES get to sleep, she's up again before midnight looking for a bottle, and some nights, she wakes a second time around 3:30 or 4 a.m. wanting yet more milk.

Needless to say, we're tired. She's 18 months old. I haven't slept a decent night since I was midway through the pregnancy. Hubby is in school and needs sleep for studying and exams. I work full-time and try to get to the gym right after work. Between that and attempting to keep up the house (YAY I fixed our dishwasher earlier today with the advice found on the Web), and ensuring Petite gets to and from daycare, and all the other little things... well, I'm just tired.

I wish she'd sleep for the night. I really do.

But I guess I will just have to grin and bear it. It won't last forever and one of these days, I'll be wishing fervently to hear her sweet little voice calling out for "Mommeee." I love hearing that voice call to me. But it'd be nice to hear a dozing little girl instead.

Excuse me while I comfort a still-crying girl. Night all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no answers for you, only sympathy. That first night when she doesn't wake you though? Will freak you out *g*