Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Upgrading Petite's Car Seat! Among other things...

Well now, it's been awhile since I've posted but it's cause I have a ton of things on my plate. What else is new, right?

First up, a few medical procedures for my friend K. She, like me, is having her gallbladder removed in the coming days so I'm trying to help her out in preparation for that. She is having some work done on one of her teeth too, but because of the cancer and surgery scars and all that, it's hella hard to freeze her so a root canal is taking not one, not two, but at least THREE appointments. Ugh. Poor lady. I can only encourage her and be there for her... and drive her when she's woozy with drugs!

Her daughter just celebrated her 13th birthday and we surprised the heck outta her by taking her and some friends to a new (huge!) water park that just opened near here. Calypso is fantastic! If you are in the vicinity, go check it out. What a blast we had!

Petite is about to outgrow her infant car seat so I'm investigating options and styles. I've heard great things about the Britax Boulevard style and the Safety 1st Complete Air LX. Maybe some of you can weigh in with your thoughts? (Saje, if you're reading, I'd love to hear what you think!)

And we have a super busy month ahead. Okay, two months. A jaunt to the east coast to see family who haven't met Petite yet. A four-day camping trip with the stepkids and our friends. (If you've gone tent-camping with an infant, I'd love to hear your tips/tricks!) Then Petite and I fly home to see my family for three weeks... and right after that, I go back to work. Yes indeed, my year of maternity leave is almost at an end. I've enjoyed every moment and I HATE to have to leave Petite with a caregiver. But I must and I will. And many tears will flow. Guaranteed.

I'm thrilled to say that Vee's backyard fundraiser raised oodles of money for Rainbows for Kate. I wish I could have been there myself, but it's wonderful to see so many people come out and donate in celebration of Max's life. I know he was watching over all of the festivities and I bet he was grinning from ear to ear! Well done Vee! *claps*

6 comments:

Saje said...

Hee hee, you're in my google reader so I spotted this one pretty quickly : ) I have very definite opinions but don't wanna put 'em on the web. I do have a spare Air Protect that you can borrow for a couple of weeks if you want to see what you think of it before investing in it. It is currently just sitting in my garage. Drop me an email sjwbis at gmail.com or call me.

BigP's Heather said...

Those both look good to me...

My auto insurance company lets you buy really nice car seats through them for super cheap. You may want to ask if you company does something similar.

decemberbaby said...

Call me a total skeptic, but all of the car seats on the market meet the safety standards, otherwise they wouldn't be on the market. Go for the one that fits properly in your car, and that is easy for you to install safely. The best-rated, "safest" carseat is no good if you can't install it properly in your own vehicle.

Nearlydawn said...

We have 2 of the Britax Marathon seats - one for each car. They are pricey, but they also have a LARGE weight range. Our little guy seems to really like it - he sits up higher in the seat and can see out the windows easily. We really like these seats - lots of our friends have these too, unless their car is samller, then they get the Roundabout model.

ColourYourWorld said...

Can't recommend a car seat we have different brands here.

Maternity leave already up ? gulp I hope that isn't too hard on you.

Thanks for the congrats the fundraiser was an awesome day and I am still recovering. Wish you were here :-)

ms. c said...

Hey Gil-
I have the Britax Marathon (not sure what the diff is btwn it and the Boulevard), and I love it. It was worth the exppense. It's easy to use and I feel very safe with it. Though... I DO agree that all the seats on the market have been tested and if they are for sale I trust that they are safe!