Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Microblog Mondays: Running... for a Reason

Our dear Mel over at Stirrup Queens has begun a blog phenomenon... as she frequently does. 

Microblog Mondays. Writing in your own space. Something short and sweet. But it's meant to take back our bloggy space and call it our own. I am going to try to do this periodically. Life's hectic. So we'll see how long this lasts.
*********************

I took my running outside yesterday.

Ouch. Did you know that running on pavement is VERY different from running on a treadmill? I knew it, but wow, I'm really feeling it this morning. I used muscles yesterday that I haven't used in ages. They are screaming at me today. It'll be worth it though.

I stood up in church yesterday and told them of my run. I screwed up my courage and went for it.

"Hi, my name is Gil. I sing in the choir and now and then I bring my daughter Petite with me, who seems to enjoy dancing at the front for your pleasure." (The congregation laughed, as Petite just can't help but move and shake when we start singing!)

I continued...

"Last year I set out to lose some weight. I've been pretty successful at it thus far. At that time, I had set myself a personal goal; I wanted to run a 5K — not WALK it as I've done before — but run a 5K before my 45th birthday. Well, I've registered for that run coming up at the end of May, a week before my birthday. I'm gonna do it. I WILL get through it. Originally, I thought I would just run it for myself, to see how well I could do. But on February 4, all of that changed."

I took a deep breath.

"On February 4, a dear friend of mine took his own life. His widow, his friends, his family, we are all still dealing with this. Then, three weeks ago, a colleague of mine did the same thing." I heard the audible intake of breath and the scattered sympathetic moan. And I took another breath.


"So, my friend's widow and I, and another friend of ours, we are running this 5K in my friend's honour, and to raise funds for the Royal Ottawa Hospital's Foundation for Mental Health. The name of our team is The Hamsters are Free! in a nod to Rob's stellar sense of humour," laughter rang out, "... and if you, your family or your friends have ever been affected by mental health issues, we would be happy to have your sponsorship to raise funds for this wonderful cause. Mental health is something that is still taboo to talk about but so many people around us are affected. More than we can possibly fathom. Today, I have with me some slips that have the information that will help you donate to the Foundation through a secure online form, or please feel free to speak with me to make other arrangements. Thank you for your time."

So, dear reader, if you would like to support me in this cause, here's the link for you.

The Hamsters are Free! - Scotiabank Charity Challenge




7 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm glad you found that courage to say it aloud. Not just for the fundraising sake, but to bring mental illness out of a whisper and discuss it as we do all other illnesses.

Savannah said...

I always think I'm more sore after running on a treadmill vs. pavement. But I push myself harder on the treadmill. When I'm just running outside, I am more likely to wuss out.

Congrats on your courage. I wish no illness was taboo, but I think mental illness really gets pushed into a dark corner. I'm glad you could make such a bold statement and also turn it into a fundraising cause.

Suzy said...

What courage you must have had to say that out loud. I agree, recognizing mental illness as the illness it is, will hopefully have a positive impact on others.

Love the team name!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I'm sorry for the losses you've endured and witnessed in others. I think this is a very empowering way to process the grief, a way that helps so many.

loribeth said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to achieve your personal goal and honour your friends' memories at the same time. As for pavement, I hear you. :p We started our regular morning walks earlier this month, and while walking is supposed to be less hard on the knees than running (and we do part of our walk on a lovely paved track at the local high school), I am really feeling it. Pass the advil!!

Jess said...

I am so sorry for the losses that you have endured, and for the immense pain that your friend and colleague suffered through their illness. What a beautiful tribute to them and to all who suffer from mental illness -- speaking as you did and running for this cause is such a great way to bring mental illness to the forefront. I hope that your body acclimates to the pavement... before I ruined my knees I always preferred trail running to pavement because it's just so jarring. My best to you in your support of this cause and honoring the memories of those you lost.

Jess said...

I feel not so smart... I followed the link but didn't see where to click to donate. Help!