Friday, April 13, 2007

The Race Is On! (aka Part Deux of dIUI #2)

I went back to see my RE this morning for a 7:15 appointment. While I sat and waited, thumbing through magazines, I chatted with the receptionist and one or two of the other women/couples who were there. I was just in the middle of discussing a visit to Australia with one of the other women when the receptionist chimed in about how she too would love to go there. Somewhere along the way, I remarked how nice it was to hear people actually TALK in the waiting room, rather than hide behind magazines. Even better... (you're gonna kill me Shlomit! *ducks*) I said to the receptionist that there's even an IF blogging friend I know that was going to bring her guitar to the waiting room! A whole movement afoot to have jovial waiting rooms! Imagine that! Too much huh? Yeah, I figured. Anyway, it was a nice change of pace to hear voices in the waiting room, even if one of those voices was my own.

So for those of you keeping track, yesterday at about 2 p.m. I had some exquisitely SHARP pain on my right side. I thought, "Ah ha! The bursting of the follies!" as I gripped the arms of my chair and winced through the worst 10 seconds or so. Whew. I don't know about you, but when my follies release those eggs, sometimes I can feel it, and other times I can't. This time, I definitely did. The residual aches and pains lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. But I was glad I felt it.

This morning's scan revealed...
-Endometrium: 8.8 mm (he commented that I must have started the progesterone? I replied that yes, I was a good little patient and I had)
-Right side: LOTS of free fluid, so the follicles had indeed released the eggs
- Left side: nothing to speak of

Because my RE only has one ultrasound machine, if you are due for any procedures, he'll usually move you to another examining room. I dutifully gathered up my clothing, my lower body wrapped ever-so-gracefully in a white cloth drape -- which is all the rage this season by the way -- and I shuffled off to one of the other rooms. He got "the goods" and came back with the second half of the donor vial. I checked that the number on the vial matched the one we'd chose, and badda-boom, badda-bing, he does his thing and those little spermies were in place. I lay there for about 10 minutes afterwards, and then dressed and headed for home. To keep my brain from racing with hopes yet again this morning during those 10 minutes flat on my back, I took out my cell phone and played pinball. Hmm, I suppose I could have called my husband. Or one of you guys. There's a thought... what do you do while you endure that 10 minute wait? Or are you lucky enough to have your husband/partner there to talk to? I wish I were that lucky. Oh well.

Now the dreaded 2ww sets in. I hate this part. Stupid progesterone mimics p/g symptoms like nobody's business and it makes me neurotic. But all I can do is hope and wait. Tonight, I'm heading to a girlfriend's for dinner; bit of a girls night out. I'm not going to get to indulge with any wine or anything, but at least the company and chatter will take my mind off things. Must search for other things to keep me busy at home during the 2ww. Otherwise I'll go mad! MAD I tell you!

One last thing, I rescheduled that PAP for early May, just in case. That way I get to keep the doc, my appoinment and MAYBE with a bit of luck, I'll get to postpone it again. *crosses fingers* Hugs to all in blogland! *blows kisses* Off to read my round of daily blogs...


Anonymous said...

Congrats on releasing the eggs exactly as planned!

Now for the torture, the 2 week wait!

Vee said...

The entertaining waiting room sounds like fun. Let me know if you are visiting Australia and I will give you some pointers.

Good luck with the wait !

Pam said...

I remember when we were trying IUI. My RE was the same, a very small practice with one u/s machine. So you had to wrap yourself up and take 3 steps across the hall to the exam room on the other side. Not a big deal but defintely required a look both way move before doing so. :)

Good luck with the 2ww.

Anonymous said...

You'll be happy to know we actually did play our guitar in the waiting room!

So, first of all, I want to send you tonnes of love and hope and positive energy! Amazing that I can feel for others what I can't feel for myself...oh well, there you go.

Secondly, yah, it's wierd how some time that eggie popping is sooo dramatically (although briefly) pain filled..and other times, I'm completely oblivious. Hmmmmm.

Thirdly, it interests me how every clinic seems so different. The only time we ever waited with only a couple of other people was on Christmas Day and there were mighty few of us there. The last time we did IUI for example (er...last week) we were one of 14 couples there for IUI. I'd say the average is about 6 or 7 although not all with the same doc. They still manage to give very personal care though.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling and hijacking your blog?!!!!! I guess I'm feeling 'chatty' today!

Once again, hope the two weeks speed by and turn into 9 months which in turn will turn into a lifetime!


Jason and Samantha said...

Hope you survive the tww without too much crazyness! :)

YAy for ovulating on time!

Baby Blues said...

Good luck on your 2ww! Now get busy and preoccupy yourself. Hang in there. I'll be checking on you. Hoping it ends in a BFP!

OHN said...

Keeping all possible body parts crossed for you!!!!