Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

The Montréal Report

Hubby and I are home from our jaunt to la grande ville. After a bit of a slow start (some confusion at reception that delayed us for about an hour), we got to see the urologist. He had read our case notes and examined hubby, before sitting down with us and giving us some good news.




I think.




I reserve the right to take that back, cause I simply refuse to believe that we EVER get good news. As we all know, I fall on the wrong side of the stats every time... so I am hyper cautious about anything that has even a semblance of optimism here. It just doesn't happen to me.


Anyway, the urologist said, "I am 99.9% + positive that we can aspirate good sperm without using MESA/TESA in your case." He could have knocked me over with a feather. Do what now?!? Yup. You read that right. He plans to use aspiration -- in a different location than our previous doc; not from the vas but rather the head of the testes -- closer to the source of production, to extract the sperm we need for IVF/ICSI. What this means is: (1) financial savings, (2) no surgery for hubby (pretty important in both our books if it can be avoided) and (3) Oh. My. God. We MIGHT get to use hubby's sperm and not need our last vial of donor sperm. No way. I'm shocked. I still disbelieve to some degree, but I'm shocked to think it might be a real option for us.

He reiterated that our case is complex, but he really doesn't feel that we will require MESA or TESA to find sperm that will be usable. He is sure that when the time comes, hubby will be good to go. He looked at me and said, "So we're good with him. Now to finish getting your case lined up." He asked if all our tests were done and I told him I still have one appointment to go.

He brought us out to our doctor's administrative assistant, and I got a peek at some of the results from last week's testing. Not all the results have arrived yet, but I can go to pick them up myself at the various places we had the tests done. I'll do that tomorrow to ensure I have copies. I'll need them for next week at the RE appointment on April 8. When I see that RE, either I'm done with my tests/follow-up and we move forward with some sort of calendar or I need to consult someone else. One day at a time, right?

Not a necessarily productive appointment today. But as hubby said as we wound our way out of Montréal, "That was just one necessary step to get us to the other steps."

One heckuva staircase we're climbing. God... I hope we get to the top.

5 comments:

Kate said...

It is a first step, but an encouraging one!

My Reality said...

It is good news!

Nearlydawn said...

Sounds like good news to me! I'd say definite progress is being made, and in the right direction for a change!

sariel & shlomit said...

such great news!!!
i'm really happy for you guys!!
(and, you know, i was very much in need of good news today so thanks for obliging!)
peace
shlomit

Aurelia said...

It is good news, I hope you guys can get even more good news in the coming days!

And hey, whatever day you guys decide to be in Toronto, I can meet you, just let me know.