Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brainstorming Session; Conceivable Dreams

Many thanks to Neeroc (One day this blog will have a snazzy name); through her, I found out about Conceivable Dreams' plan to get some IF folks together to brainstorm.

Seems that Ontario is on the verge of a provincial election (coming up on October 6, 2011) and if elected, the Liberals have indicated their willingness to fund IVF commencing in December 2011. Interesting... very interesting indeed. This, of course, falls in line with the report produced by the Expert Panel on Adoption and Infertility a couple of years ago, and it follows last year's decision by the province of Quebec to fund IVF, and the province of Manitoba's financial contribution to helping people build families.

Knowing this information, the OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) Coalition for IVF Funding -- aka Conceivable Dreams -- held a brainstorming session in Toronto on February 1. Twenty "dynamic individuals from the infertility community" in the Toronto area came together to brainstorm about some possible ways to raise this issue in the upcoming election.

And Conceivable Dreams is doing it again.

On March 1, they're holding a similar brainstorming session here in Ottawa at the Ottawa Fertility Centre. I found out about it through Neeroc and then peeked at the Coalition's website for the information. I contacted Kerri immediately (she remembered me from the Baby Steps IF walk a few years ago! see pics here... Hi Kerri!) to register both me and Hubby for the event. And WOOT! We're in! Last I heard from Kerri on Tuesday, Feb. 15, there were maybe 4 or 5 spots left.

I'm looking forward to it. If you have ideas, thoughts or anything that we might be able to use, lay it on me! It should be a very interesting evening. With luck, something productive will come from it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gil, she's updated that they've filled all the spots but will take names in case anyone needs to drop out. Look forward to seeing you!

Anonymous said...

I hope IVF will finally be covered. I figure by the time it will be covered, I will be in menopause, though.

marilyn said...

this is a great thing. I wonder if there is anything like this in California?